What forms do I need to submit to starting a business?

To start and operate a business, there are certain forms you need to complete and submit. You must obtain certain permits and licenses to legally operate your business. These forms and licenses vary depending on the type of business you are trying to create. However, there are some basic forms that everyone must file before starting a business.

 submit to start a business

Seller’s permit and tax identification

If your business relies on the sale of any tangible thing and taxable, you must obtain a seller’s permit, which includes a tax identification number (NIF) you will use to file your taxes quarterly or annually. This NIF is required if you have to collect sales tax in your business. If your state of residence does not charge sales tax, or if no tangible or sell taxable items, maybe not requires a seller’s permit to operate. Check with the office of the local county clerk to determine whether or not a requirement for your business.

DBA or permit fictitious business name

The purpose of a DBA or “Doing Business As “(doing business as …) or a fictitious business name is registered if you are using any name other than your own, in the operation of your business. Unless the company name with your real name, such as “John Smith Design”, you must register your business name in your state. Only one company can work with a specific name in a state, so you have to do a search for DBA names before registering the company name to make sure it is available for use. Once you confirm that your chosen business name is available, you must fill out a form and pay a fee to register the trademark. This is a legal requirement in the US, and you must register a DBA in each state in which your company has a physical presence.

Business Licenses

If you are operating a business of any type, you will be required to obtain a business license, requiring an application form. This is true if you are using a physical retail location, a business on the Internet , based at home or any other business model business. If your business is small and only operates within your city, you have to apply for a local business license through your city. If you are starting a larger business, you may need to apply for a business license from the state or even federal business license. Also, you may need to request another license, depending on what products or services will be selling.