Choosing a domain name for your online store requires careful consideration. Since your website serves as your digital identity, it is important to make sure that your domain name fits the products or services you are offering. It should also make your business easy to locate online. Here are some tips to help you pick the right domain name for your business:
- Make it easy to find. Selecting a domain name that is easy to locate is important to the overall success of your business. Using an acronym, slang or words with multiple spellings can make it difficult for customers to find your site.
- Incorporate keywords into your domain name. When developing a domain name, take some time to write down a list of keywords that represent your business and the services it provides. For example, if you own a plumbing business in Houston, you may want to register HoustonPlumbing.com or HoustonPlumber.com. The goal is to incorporate keywords that customers would use when searching for your products or services online. Not only does this help improve the search engine ranking of your website, but it also increases the chances that prospective customers will be able to find your business when they need it.
- Identify your service area. Prior to using domain search services like Network Solutions to find a domain, make sure you know what areas you intend to serve. For services like plumbing or mold remediation, your ideal customer likely lives within the local commuting area. In this case, it is important to try and include that information in your domain name if possible. For product-based businesses, your ideal customer base may be broader. Identifying what areas you intend to serve will help you choose a domain name that drives better quality traffic to your site.
- Keep it simple. Another rule of thumb is to avoid using hyphens or numbers in your domain name. If a prospective customer forgets or misplaces the dash, they may have a hard time locating your site. When using numbers, customers often confuse numerals (3) with the spelling of the word (three) which can also present difficulties when attempting to locate your page.
- Do your research. Once you have narrowed down your list of ideal domain names, take some time to research each one to ensure that the name is not copyrighted or trademarked by another company. Skipping this step could end up costing you money and your domain name.
- Use the right extension. An extension is the .com or .org that is placed at the end of your web address. Some of these extensions are intended for specific purposes, so make sure you choose the one that best suits your business. While .com sites are the most popular, it can be difficult to find something short and memorable that has not already been taken. As a result of the .com shortage, a wave of new generic domain extensions has hit the market. These new high-level domans, including.guru and .nyc can provide new opportunities to register a domain that is short and easy to remember.
Selecting a domain name is one of the most important decisions you can make for your online storefront. These 6 tips will help you choose a domain that drives high quality leads to your website.